Thursday, September 27, 2007

Assessing the Use of Video Conferencing for Linking Teacher Preparation Programs with K-12 Schools (Dr. Lehman)

Assessing the Use of Video Conferencing for Linking Teacher Preparation Programs with K-12 Schools (Dr. Lehman)

I would like to mainly discuss how “diversity” is examined in Dr. Lehman and Dr. Richardson’s study. First of all, I was impressed by the fact that one of the participating pre-service teachers had a chance to reach one of core-issues of diversity. He basically expressed his realization that students were “bright” even if they are from a “poor” socio-economic background. His stereotype was thus corrected and he now had a better understanding of diversity.

Although “technology” and “diversity” are one of the major topics of this study, the technology part was very much emphasized and “diversity” issues were not studied very much.

I understand that from the Table 1 (Summary of Pre-Service Teachers’ Responses to Likert-type Items) we see fairly positive responses in general. I would be interested in seeing their responses to some items that are also inquiring into their perceptions and understanding of diversity. I would be interested in the relationship between diversity and technology; for instance, “Is the technology more/less helpful to have students realize diversity issues more than face-to-face environments?” Or questions such as “Do you think technology will be more helpful in the future?” might be interesting. In this particular study, diversity questions were addressed only qualitatively.

It would have been interesting and beneficial to students if there was a multi-disciplinary (English, History, Social Sciences, etc.) topic of diversity was included in one of their lessons.

I was also wondering if there was an English as a Second Language class in the school?

Eventually, video conferencing will become a useful and more dependable communication tool. And we will be using the tool just like we are using TV or cellphones now. Then an interesting question is what type of tools will help what type of learning and instruction.

Shigetake

P.S. In Japan, all world maps has Japan right in the center (not in the right end)!

No comments: