Thursday, November 1, 2007

Dr . Johanneaus Strobel

His presentation's title was "Interaction design: Integrating scaffolding into an interactive game for children."

I was wondering about the future of the project. Is this a really awesome project that is to be adopted by many countries quickly? I was not sure about the “online community” part, which is not completed yet. Considering the large body of discussions on constructivism, collaboration, social cognition, and online community involving children would be very important topics. Their plan of assessment of children’s cognitive development seems to be tentative. Without a concrete plan of evaluation, I cannot tell if this project is interested in collecting information for improvement of the field of child cognitive development or educational technology. Also, I could not find a specialist in child development in the people who contributed in the creation of the program. To me, SMEs seem to be missing there.

However, it was a very intriguing project. The number of countries (140) that the project had to consider to create this educational interactive program was so large. The UNESCO’s involvement as a client seems to add a lot of value to this project. I really liked the literature discussion regarding the difference between modeling, coaching and scaffolding; hard and soft scaffolding; and how they integrated those ideas into their project.

Shigetake

No comments: