Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Envision Center

Envision Center

We had chances to learn Virtual Reality Theater, Haptics, and Motion Capture. I enjoyed a lot. I thought there are vast potentials for Educational Technology research to play important roles in what they do in the center.

As Dr. Schaffer points out, their Haptics study seems to be similar to what we see in some Educational Technology studies. They did not find differences in learners’ performances between the use of normal visuals and the use of Haptics visuals. In Educational Technology, we have seen no difference between face-to-face learning and distance learning. But, this Haptics (as well as other devices in the center) appeals to learner personalities that normal visuals would appeal to. Also, I think retention study might be very interesting. Learners can show longer retention.

“A whole bunch of numbers and formulas” are shown in a form of tube between the Earth and the Moon in V R Theater. That was impressive.

Additionally, I think our learning in the center can be translated to a type of museum learning. The informal learning really “sparked my interest” (Perry 2002).


Reference:
Perry, D. L. (2002). Profound learning: Stories from museums. Educational Technology.

Shigetake

No comments: