Thursday, November 8, 2007

Dr. Kim's Presentation

I learned a lot about scaffolding today. Because I am planning on doing a case study for my MS thesis, her study with a case study design was very interesting. Her study was an explanatory case study with specific research questions derived from literature in the field. And it's a hot topic too. I thought her conclusions about scaffolding would also be understood in terms of hard and soft scaffolding idea. I think her result and finding would suggest that hard scaffolding that had been "built-in" to the instructional tool will have to be implemented in a holistic way; meaning that peer- and teacher-scaffolding happening together with technology-enhanced scaffolding will have to be considered to understand the scaffolding as a whole.

I was also interested in her methodology. I think I should ask her about Camtasia some time. I was planning to use camtasia to capture all my participant's activities on the screen with sound, but if this software will crutially slow down their web-based activities within my thesis project, then my thesis plan will have to be modified.

I appreciate I had a chance to attend Dr. Kim's presentation today.
Shigetake

No comments: